CHEST PHYSIOTHERAPY (CPT)
Chest physiotherapy (CPT) is the treatments performed by Physiotherapists and/ or Respiratory Therapists whereby breathing is improved by the helping remove mucous from the lungs. When there is too much or too thick mucus, it blocks the air from moving in and out of the lungs. As a result, Mucus makes breathing harder. Mucus that sits too long in the lungs can also grow germs which can lead to many other problems. CPT helps to loosen the mucus, so that it can be coughed out. Thus, CPT can help you breathe better.
Indications for Chest Physiotherapy
It is indicated for patients in whom cough is insufficient to clear secretions. Examples include:
- Cystic fibrosis
- Lung abscess
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Pneumonias in dependent lung regions
- Chest secretions or congestion
- COPD ( Asthama, Chronic Bronchitis, etc)
Techniques in Chest Physiotherapy
- There are different procedures which can be used for CPT which includes Postural Drainage, Percussion, Vibrations, Chest mobility exercises, Breathing exercises, Resistance training for respiratory muscles, Active exercise program, etc.
- The common procedures used are postural drainage and chest percussion, in which the client is rotated to facilitate drainage of secretions from a specific lobe or segment while being clapped with cupped hands to loosen and mobilize retained secretions that can then be expectorated or drained.
Benefits of Chest Physiotherapy
- Improves the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide
- Improving functional capacity of cardiac and respiratory health.
- Increases the clearance of lung secretions
- Teach effective breathing patterns which would reduce stress and anxiety
- Prepare an activity program to improve overall fitness level and lung efficiency
- Teach self-management to minimize hospital admissions and acute infections
- Teaches techniques to manage Shortness Of Breath
If you have any questions or concerns, if you want to know more about Chest Physiotherapy please call at HELIOS.